Saturday, August 9, 2008

Remembering someone who was forgotten

Yeah, I know! It's been a few days since I wrote, but hey! Life happens right. Most of you already know what I do for a living. I am a welfare worker ( social assistance as it is now known). I am fortunate enough, to have a specialty case load where all of my client's are either substance users, or on the road I hear. the horrors that these people go through.

There are times that I become so frustrated at my inability to assist in the way they may need it. What it boils down to, is that they have to be willing to work on it themselves. They need to
to find hope from within, and then they will be able to accept the help that is offered.

For some, I wonder if they will make it to 2009. I fear one or two may not.

I had this one individual, who was an alcoholic. He was living on the streets, and had been for some time. Finally after months of effort, we managed to get him into subsidized housing. It was then that he started to focus on recovery. Small steps is what we used. little accomplishments that went so very far to improve the quality of his life. I imagine, after years of sleeping outside, having a bed, a shower, a roof. He was on his way.
We had an appointment, and he called to re-schedule because he was not feeling well. No problem I said, come in on Thursday.

Thursday came, but he did not. In fact, his ex-girlfriend came to the office instead. this person had passed on. Pneumonia! His ex was the only one who was willing to make the arrangements. His family refused because they felt that his life was a waste of time. They had no idea that he had started a journey. It was only when I told his ex that he had begun to work on his issues, that she cried. She brought the info to his brothers and sisters. They had no clue.

You know what I fear most in life? Is that something happens, I get sick, I lose it somehow, and people will give up on me. Then I lose total hope.

This client I had, made an impression on me. he died the same day we were to meet. He called to tell me he would not be in. He was courteous enough to take the time. I vowed on that day, that someone would always remember him. He made a difference in my life, and I am grateful that I met him!

I'm still remembering Phil! May you be celebrating, dancing, healthy, and know that you made a difference to me!

1 comment:

JC said...

Chantal, like yourself I work in the health services field. We have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of these people. The funny thing is, that while we are busy making a difference in their lives, they make a difference in ours.