Friday, August 15, 2008

Jo

I have a severely disabled Sister. Joanne is 50 years old, and has been in a residential facility for 49 of those years. My parents have always been very active in her life, but they are aging, and not as able to do the things they use to for her. This responsibility is now falling, in part, on me.

Joanne was rushed to the infirmary last Sunday night, in utter pain. Now, first I must make this clear, the ONLY way that my sister shows pain, is by pulling one of her legs up to her stomach. Joanne does not cry, she has never shed a single tear. Jo does not cry out in pain. She cannot communicate the same way you and I do. You have to know Jo, to know that something is wrong.

Anyways, long story short, she has gallstones. One is the size of a golf ball, and then there are also many many more. She was sent for testing, and the Doctor caring for her, tried to get her into surgery ASAP. " Give her antibiotics first for the infection around the gallbladder" is what the hospital said. The Doctor did. Jo responded a little, because the infection was leaving.

Here is the kicker. The Hospital is now saying that Jo needs to be put on a waiting list for surgery. 2 months minimum. Joanne's pain is "not acute enough". Dr.Hamilton, the physician caring for my sister is upset and concerned. She is taking it upon herself to write to the hospital weekly to express her concern for Jo. She is trying to get Jo into surgery as soon as possible.

My sister, cannot walk, talk, feed herself, go to the bathroom, bath herself. My sister needs total care, 24/7, she cannot chew so everything is pureed. She cannot drink liquid, so ever her water has additives in order to solidify it.

My Sister needs surgery, but because she does not express discomfort and pain the same way you and I do, she will wait.

Let's face it, I'm sure that some of you are sitting here thinking " What kind of quality of life does she really have". People have even told me " she would be better off dead". Perhaps that is right, she would be, because she would be in the arms of God. BUT, she is not dead. She is alive, and currently hurting. She is still a valued human being, and she is loved so very much. Joanne deserves the same quality of care as we do. Holy crap, I just realized that I could go on and on, and on here. I'm going to stop.

All I can say is that my sister is hurting, and there is nothing more terrible than knowing she is and I can't do anything about it. Second to that, i now have to tell my Mom the news....

Pray for Jo please.....
And maybe say a little prayer for me and my family....

2 comments:

JC said...

Hello Chantal,
Very sorry to her of your sister's condition, I wish for a speedy operation for her.
I hope you don't mind but one comment on your statement "My Sister needs surgery, but because she does not express discomfort and pain the same way you and I do, she will wait".
Working the health care system daily, I know it very well. The question I pose to you is, is it truly a question that she "does not express discomfort and pain the same way you and I do.." or is it yet another example of a very overwhelmed and broken health care system?
No offense meant.
JC

Carrie said...

Its all part of the puzzle.

Overwhelmed system ....yup.......broken....NOPE - the States THAT is broken - we have a system. And until your very sick within that system you cannot appreciate that very fact - WE have a system and its FREE. People in the States die if they do not have any money.

ANYONE given a grant or assistance to become a doctor or nurse should OWE the Canadian medical system 5 years. THAT would be a start.

I pray Jo gets the help she needs today.....not tomorrow but TODAY.