Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Dutch

My husband is a Canadian, born and raised here. His parents, however are Dutch. I can remember the first time I went there. It was very exciting to meet his family, but I must admit that I was completely clueless. First, they are dairy Farmers.

I spent so much time trying to understand how it is more accurate to hand draw a new calf, rather than taking a polaroid. Apparently, a picture does not do it justice. My father in law spent about 10 minutes trying to explain, then gave up out of frustration, with an Arrrghhk to boot.

I was also amazed at the amount of laughter and joy that I saw within that home. Everyone would sit around the table, sharing a meal, and there was teasing, joking, and a genuine joy at the idea that everyone was together. All that and the sticky fly tape hanging over the Dinner table.

They pray before and after every meal. They even read Bible stories for the younger children to enjoy. It was such an alien concept to me. To this day, I still enjoy the fact that they pray as a family. Ohhh, and I can't forget kinipiches ( don't even know how to spell that one). They are these truly yummy cookies that my mother in law makes. I've eaten so many, and it is always a treat to get some to take home.

Saying that, I have to admit that I am still ignorant of the Dutch culture. I wish I had the opportunity to visit Holland and experience first hand the lifestyle. This morning I was Stumbling, and I came across this site that made me laugh. A woman is explaining the 10 things she learned while in Holland. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did:

http://dailycandor.com/10-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-the-dutch

There are things that I have learned as well, including:
a sandwhich usually only uses one piece of Bread
My Father in law will belt out a tune as loud as he can, regardless of his singing ability.
My Mother in law will always be positive, no matter what the situation is.
My in-laws are always up for a practical joke.

Now, I don't know if that is because they are Dutch, but it doesn't matter either way, because they are awesome!

4 comments:

JC said...

wow that is really nice :-)

Carrie said...

The comments on the site you gave are funnier then the article itself. ONE must never forget that a good Dutch home has a coffee corner in the kitchen including right beside the sugar and creamer a cup holding tiny spoons. AND what is a WC (toilet) with out a birthday calender???? NOT a true Dutch WC that is for sure!

Carrie said...

oh and the "aaagggggg' from your father in law ....in this case the translation is 'dom mens' ahahahahah

Chantal said...

OMG, I forgot about the birthday calendars. You are absolutely right, in the bathroom. That is so true. LOL