Thursday, November 13, 2008

The frog was green.

I can remember it as clear as yesterday. We were both sitting on the bed together, just enjoying each others company. All of a sudden, he started telling me, with excitement in his voice, all about the frog that he had seen. He and his Dad had gone for a walk together by the River. The dogs were running around all over the place, it would seem, when he spotted it. This Big, Green Frog.
Oh the excitement in his eyes, as he began to re-tell the whole story so that I could share.
I sat there in complete and total awe. I realized at that very moment, that I was actually having a conversation with him, My boy, My Josh! He was just a baby, and yet, I am having a conversation with him.

He must have been 2 & 1/2 or 3 at that time. Yesterday, he turned 16. Gone are the days of frogs, and riding his bicycle in the living room. He is all grown up, and as such, the spinning wheel of the "price is right" , or doing a little jig with the Fresh Prince of Belair, are simply memories in my mind.

When did it happen ? Where did the time go?

Now, let me tell you a little about Josh today, He is completely obsessed with 3 things, his bicycle ( he has always loved anything on wheels - even rollerskating at 1 year old - yes I have pictures to prove it ) 2) his computer, I am sure that he will be the first volunteer for some sort of implant - lol and 3) Guitar Hero - that is a little like his Mom, he does like games. This is what he does.

This is who Josh is: He is an incredible loving individual, he is strong, yet sensitive, and trustworthy. His laughter, makes me melt, for it reminds me of just how much I love him. Josh has a sarcastic side, that makes me bust a gut. Yeah, I know that I shouldn't laugh, but I just can't help it. He is funny. The boy has a mind, and character all of his own. he is the type of individual who captivates a room, not because he does anything special, but because he is Special. My Boy, My Son, is cool. He doesn't fit in anywhere, but he fits in everywhere.
He finds good in everything, and is still willing to give his old Mom a hug from time to time.

Ok, I'll admit it. the boy has me wrapped around his little finger. He bats his Baby Blues, and I cave. But let me add just one more thing. He was a gift to me. More important than all that I have. I would give anything for Josh, My child. I would rather be accused of loving the man that he has become too much, than to look back and wonder if I should have done more.

I am proud of my son. Of who he is, and for what he will acheive. The Funny thing is, just like the very first conversation I ever had with him, I still sit and listen with awe.
He may have outgrown the training wheels, and sippy cups, but I still look forward to each and everyday with him. Josh was and continues to be the greatest gift God has given me.
I love my Boy.

1 comment:

JC said...

Belated happy birthday to Josh. It is nice to hear a mother so very proud of her son. I can relate very well to what you are saying. I’ve been doing a lot of home renovations, and the last room I did was Daniel's. I was so delighted when he volunteered on his own to help me. Man is he ever good at doing mitered corners. Chantal, maybe raising kids is like gardening. First you plant the seed, you know what it is suppose to turn out like. Every day you attend to it, pruning, shaping, watering, and then you see it starting to take shape. You're optimistic by what you see, but there are weeds that threaten its growth. Then the final day comes, it has fully developed and you stand back so proudly and admire all its beauty and strength!