Wednesday, April 8, 2009

With a new beginning, comes a rediscovery

Have you ever noticed how, when one thing ends, another just begins?

I'm scheduled for a Hysterectomy on April 23rd. I am very scared, but have to admit that the idea of continuing with the constant pain that I have now, is even more frightening.
My life, for the last several years, seems to have been one issue after another. Depression, pain, discomfort, fear, anxiety, and a whole bunch of other stressful, and life changing situations.

As a result of all of this, I cannot say that I have been "at my best" for a long, long time. Yet, today, I am encouraged. Let me tell ya why.

In two weeks, I will have surgery, then spend time recovering. I am going to take that time to recover from the procedure. I am also going to take the time, to recover from the last few years.

Somewhere, along the way, I lost myself. I miss the "old" Chantal. The carefree, independent and strong women I once was. I was always energetic, almost to annoyance. I loved to laugh and play. I loved people. Yes, I was a flirt too. Man, I miss those days.

Today, I am looking forward to rediscovering her. I do not plan to stay in this state of ill health. I hate feeling weak, unable to do things. I despise the idea that I am holding others back. I want to be able to stand on my own two feet, confident of my own strength.

So here are my post surgery plans:
I will be going back to the gym. I plan on keeping myself healthy

I want to jump out of a plane. Why? Well, because I saw my best friend take the plunge, and have to admit I admire her so much for it. She made it look amazing, and made me realize that I too need to shake things up in my life

I am going to do cartwheels. Ok, so I probably will not be graceful, but who cares

I am going to climb a rock wall, to prove to myself that I can do it again.

I am also going to take chances, to let people know that I love them, and appreciate them every single day.

I am going to laugh, hopefully so hard, that I tear up. Life is far too short to stop playing.

I am going to love, because I believe that even if there is pain, I would rather spend my life having known and experienced love, than to spend the rest of my life afraid of getting hurt.

I will do my best to stop worrying, and to enjoy the moment. Let's face it, it's all we have.

I guess the "old" Chantal is already starting to return.

Yeaaaa me!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll be the guy on the sidelines clapping & cheering!

Patsy said...

I look forward to meeting her again! I miss you so much!!!

JC said...

Chantel,

I'm not sure if you got my post. Sorry if this is a repeat. I'm very interested in your Mother in Law's "kinipiches". My grandmother used to make them for us as children and since she has died, we have not been able to locate the cooking "iron" that she used to make them. Would your mother in law know where we might obtain one? Thank you